The LGU was founded in 1893 and County golf was under its control until 1952 when the County Associations were formed. By 1900 there were 14 County Clubs in England and Wales, and 32 by 1922, but Berkshire was not one of them.
In 1922 the captains of Sonning, East Berks, Maidenhead and Temple together with some club members felt it was time Berkshire took its place in County golf. Miss Marjorie Orde of East Berks (Hcp-6) proposed the formation of a Berkshire Ladies County Golf Club. (Clubs became Associations only in 1930).
It was decided to ask Princess Alice of Athlone to be President, with Mrs Orde as secretary and treasurer (an office she held until 1939). The subscription was 7/6d per year with each club appointing two members to the Committee.
At the first committee meeting held on 23 January 1923, Mrs Vlasto of Sonning was elected captain, and as Princess Alice declined to be president, Lady Mary Crichton accepted the position. The initial membership was 63; Sonning having most members with 25. Newbury joined the club in 1925.
By 1929, it was felt that Lady Mary Crichton had lost touch with the club and Mrs Cave (Temple) was appointed Vice-President, becoming President in 1930.
Calcot Park joined the County in 1931 followed by Goring & Streatley and Reading & South Oxon in 1938. Reading & South Oxon had been an Oxfordshire Green until the County boundary changed in 1934, when Caversham became part of Berkshire, enabling members living in Caversham to become members of Berkshire LGA. Reading & South Oxon golf club became a Berkshire Club in 1938.
In addition to the courses of the member clubs, Swinley Forest, The Berkshire and Frilford Heath offered their courses as County Greens.
In 1939 all the officials resigned at the outbreak of war and County activities were not resumed until 1947 with Mrs Dudley Charles as President and Mrs Battiscombe as Captain; however, 1950 was the first full year of events. In 1951 there were 105 members.
When the English Ladies Golf Association was formed in 1952, Mrs Audrey Van Oss donated the “Bible” in which to record the history of the Berkshire County Ladies Golf Association from that time.
Typed by Albin Pallikunnel, St. Joseph’s Catholic High School
Note: This history has been copied from the booklet “Berkshire County Ladies Golf Association, Early History, 1922-1952” compiled by Mrs N Nash.